Supporting Bilinguism in Supplementary Schools
Date and venue
Monday, 14 May 10am – 3.30pm: ContinYou’s Vauxhall office, London
Bilingualism can often be present within educational establishments, but may not always be identified in full by educational practitioners. This workshop offers the opportunity for educational practitioners to receive training that will benefit both the individual and educational setting. It can count towards Continual Professional Development (CPD).
- introduction to basic concepts of bilingualism, bilingual development and bilingual education
- links to all other areas of development – social and emotional, communication, language and literacy, mathematical, cultural, knowledge and understanding of the world, creative, physical
- different models of bilingual education
- supporting bilingual children in English schools, complementary schools, nurseries and primary schools as well as in education in general
- EYFS and communication, language and literacy in multilingual contexts
- pedagogy and practical methods in supporting child’s second language and active bilingualism in complementary school context
- practical methods and tools in supporting bilingual and multilingual children in English nurseries, schools and general childcare. It will relate to the area of learning and teaching, observation and assessment
- advantages of bilingualism for all children, teachers and the educational establishment.
Who should attend?
- supplementary school co-coordinators or project managers
- supplementary school teachers (non qualified)
- supplementary school classroom assistants
- primary school teachers.
Maria Gavrilova, BA, MA Applied Linguistics, NVQ3 Childcare and Education, Head teacher of AZBUKA Russian Nursery, School and Club in Richmond.
AZBUKA Nursery was established in 2002, based in the London Borough of Richmond, and became one of the first ‘language immersion’ nursery schools working within the EYFS framework.
To book your place payment is required before the course.
For course dates after 1 April:
- associate members and non-member supplementary schools – £75 per person
- supplementary school NRC members – £25 per person.
How to book
Please download, complete and return the booking form below. Don’t forget to include your fee for each course booked. You can pay this fee online, or by cheque or cash. Please see the booking form for full terms and conditions.
For further information or queries, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 024 7658 8440.
To find out more about our work with supplementary schools, please visit the National Resource Centre (NRC) for Supplementary Education website.
If you work for a supplementary school, become a member of the NRC and receive many benefits.